The New English Art Club 2022 Open Exhibition is accepting submissions from any artist over the age of 18. Their exhibition which runs from 23 June to 2 July 2022 will be held at The Mall Galleries, London
The New English Art Club was founded by a group of artists dissatisfied with the entrenched attitudes of the Royal Academy. They mounted their first show in 1886. It is an elected society of contemporary painters whose ethos resides in art informed by the visual world and personal interpretation.
They also support emerging artists through their education programme with classes and workshops run by New English members. They also award two scholarships each year.
Deadline for Submissions : Friday 1 April 2022 12 Noon
Rules of Entry
- Any artist over 18 may submit.
- All work must be submitted online. Register and Upload images at mallgalleries.oess1.uk
- Submitted digital images must be in JPEG format and under 5MB.
- Acceptable media: Paintings, drawings, pastels, original framed prints (excluding photography). Note that sculpture is not admissible.
- Submission fee: £20 per work (or £14 per work for artists aged 35 or under).
- Work must have been completed in the last two years and must not have been previously exhibited in London.
- Maximum of six works submitted. Maximum of three works selected.
- Works should not be larger than 2.4m along the longest dimension.
- All work must be for sale.
- Minimum price: £300 (£180 for framed prints, £120 for unframed prints – buyers will not be charged for postage and packaging of unframed prints, so please ensure the price of unframed prints allows for this).
- The price of works must include 45%+VAT commission.
Want to give yourself the best chance of being selected then see our Blog “Best Tips for Entering Art Competitions”
- All International submissions will be ONLINE ONLY, artists will need to ship their work if selected for the exhibition.
- If you are not a UK resident and your work is sold at the exhibition you have a responsibility to register and account for UK VAT with H.M. Revenue & Customs at www.hmrc.gov.uk (HM Revenue & Customs Reference: Notice 700/1)
- Artists sending work from abroad should use a picture carrier. Many artists use Picture Post Art as they offer a packing and delivery service for their exhibitions (the organisers do not accept any liability for their services). Picture Post Art – Tel: 07833 450788 / Email: [email protected]
Important Dates for New English Art Club 2022 Open Exhibition
Submission opens: Monday 31 January, 12 noon
Submission closes: Friday 1 April, 12 noon
Pre-selection notification: Friday 8 April
Receiving Day (if pre-selected): Saturday 7 May, 10am to 5pm
Notification of final selection: Tuesday 10 May, 12 noon
Collection of unaccepted work: Thursday 12 May, 10am to 5pm
Exhibition opens: Thursday 23 June, 10am to 5pm
Exhibition closes: Saturday 2 July, 5pm
Collection of unsold work: Thursday 7 July, 10am to 5pm
Are you interested in entering an Open Exhibition, but not sure of the pros and cons, then see our blog “Should you enter Art Competitions” where we explain what is involved
Delivery & Collection
- Packaging from delivered works cannot be retained and must be taken away at the point of delivery.
- Complete labels carefully and attach to the back of picture frames.
- Paintings should be completely dry at the time of delivery.
- They are unable to wrap works or provide wrapping materials for any works being returned.
- Any work uncollected on the specified collection date/s will be stored at a separate location and the artist will be charged a storage fee.
Looking to increase your Income from your Art
At The Artists Print Room we specialise in creating digital image files of your paintings and turning them into fine art giclée prints. It’s a great way to earn extra income from your art and we are able to print on demand. So when your customer buys a print, you send the order to us and we can print and ship direct to your customer. We are a bespoke fine art printers, adapting and meeting the creative needs of artists. Please feel free to Get in touch we’re always happy to help.
- The size of artworks acceptable includes the exterior frame size.
- All works must be exhibition ready and able to withstand mirror plating for hanging purposes.
- They also state no framing hooks are required and frames and mounts of an unusual colour, size or design may prejudice the chance of selection.
- Be aware the dates for collection of works are the ONLY days that works can be collected.
- You must unwrap and take away all packaging from the artwork at point of delivery and you must bring packaging materials with you when you collect your artwork.
- Remember you are being judged firstly on your submitted digital image file(s). Therefore make sure you have a good quality digital image, that is a good representation of your artwork. The image should only be of the artwork and nothing else.
- If you enter more than one artwork, make sure they are all equally good. A weak artwork will only reflect poorly on your other submitted artworks.
- Remember to include the organisers 45% +VAT commission when working out your selling price.
If you are unsure how to price your artwork or need help working out commission, take a look at our blog “Pricing your Artwork”
Selection for New English Art Club 2022 Exhibition
The Selection Committee is formed of artist members of the New English Art Club. Please note that selectors’ decisions are final and they are unable to offer feedback.
If you are unable to deliver or collect your work in person, several art couriers around the country visit the galleries, including:
Art Moves of Chelsea (London, Kent, Surrey, Sussex and Bristol) – [email protected] / 020 7352 7492
Picture Post Art (Scotland, the North of England and Birmingham) – [email protected] / 07833 450788
South Hams Express (Penzance, Totnes, Exeter and Southampton) – [email protected] / 07502 041139
For a fuller list of Art Couriers, click here.
Terms & Conditions
For full terms and conditions, click here.
Prizes & Awards (subject to final confirmation)
There are many prizes and awards available to win, in the New English Art Club 2022 exhibition, including:
The Doreen McIntosh Prize for £2,500: In order to reflect the best in figurative painting in British Art, The Doreen McIntosh Prize is for an artist whose work fulfils the New English Art Club’s ideals of rigour, immediate engagement with the visual and a searching attitude
Chris Beetles Gallery Prize for Figurative Art: £2,500 for a non-member artist. Selected by Chris Beetles of Chris Beetles Gallery, St James’s, London
The Hermione Hammond Drawing Award: £2,000 for a drawing by an emerging artist aged 35 or under
The Bowyer Drawing Prize: Selected by the Bowyer family, £500
The Winsor & Newton Award: Art materials to the value of £500
The Peter Ashley Framing Prize: Presented by The Artistic Framing Company, a bespoke handmade picture frame will be created for the winning work to the value of £500
The Michael Harding Award: £500 worth of art materials
The NEAC Critics’ Prize: £250
The Anthony J. Lester Art Critic Award: A certificate and cheque for £100
The Milner Prize for an Emerging Artist: £500
The Dry Red Press Award: The winning work will be published as a greeting card in the Dry Red Press ‘Prize Winners’ range, with royalties from the sale of the cards going to the artist
Finally don’t forget if you’d like to turn your art into fine art giclée prints, then please feel free to Get in touch
Did you know that we are the only fine art printing company in the UK which has been accredited by Canson Infinity, Hahnemühle Fine Art, Epson Digigraphie, ILFORD and a member of the Fine Art Trade Guild? Also, why not sign up to our mailing list to keep up to date with news, products and future competitions at The Artists Print Room – just complete the form below.