The Society of Botanical Artists 2022 exhibition invites submissions from artists. Artwork can be submitted in watercolour, oils, gouache, graphite, colour pencil, pen and ink. Also submissions are invited from botanical illustrators, printmakers, ceramic artists, sculptors, jewellers and glass artists. Overall the Society is seeking work with a strong exhibiting presence.
The Society of Botanical Artists 2022 exhibition will take place in June 2022, at The Mall Galleries, London.
Last years exhibition 2021, was limited to artwork by Fellows and Foundation members and a selection of work from students on the SBA’s DLDC (distance learning diploma course). It was a virtual exhibition which was online. This year 2022, the exhibition is open to all artists with the opportunity to have their work on display in London.
Deadline for Entries: 31st March 2022 Midnight (GMT)
- Be predominantly of botanical content.
- Botanically accurate.
- Visually pleasing.
- Have strong wall appeal.
- Be work you are proud of.
- All work must be original (all prints must be hand pulled and NOT giclée). They do not accept photography or other digital art forms.
- Maximum dimension is 120cm on the longer side.
Entry Deadline: 31 March 2022 (midnight) GMT
Selection Notification: 20 April 2022
Artwork Delivery: 28 May 2022
Private View: 14 June 2022
Exhibition Open To Public: 15 – 18 June 2022 from 10am to 5pm daily
Collection of unsold work: 23 June 2022
Maximum Artwork Entries: 5
First or Single Entry Price: £25.00
Additional Entries: £25.00 per artwork up to 5 artworks.
Maximum Artwork Entries: 6
First or Single Entry Price: £20.00
Additional Entries: £20.00 per artwork up to 6 artworks.
Rules of Entry of Society of Botanical Artists 2022 Exhibition
- You need to register online.
- Submissions are invited from visual artists working in any two or three-dimensional artwork except for photography and giclee printing (or similar).
- Submission is by online entry only.
- Work selected for exhibition must be for sale.
- Minimum sale price of £395 for work less than 40cm (on longest side).
- Minimum sale price of £495 for work over 40cm (on longest side).
- You must provide the framed measurements of your work in cm.
- The Selection Committee encourages artists to choose simple plain mounts and wooden frames (which can accommodate mirror plate fixings). Choosing simple mounts and frames means there will be no distraction from the artwork or interference with adjacent works in the exhibition.
- Poorly framed works may prejudice acceptance.
- Work framed with clips is not admissible.
- Acrylic ‘glass’ may be used for oversize work and for work submitted by overseas artists, as supplied by a framer. It must be of good display quality and be free from scratches. Therefore as scratch resistant as possible.
- Artglass or similar which minmises reflections is acceptable.
Digital Image File Submissions
There are no technical specifications for digital image files, mentioned in the Society’s terms and conditions, though they do mention submitting very good photographs to show your work at its best. Remember you will be judged on the quality of your image file.
- Make sure you only take a photo of the work itself, no background.
- Use a tripod to steady the camera/ mobile. This way you avoid an out of focus image and you don’t have strange distorted angles either.
- Use good even light facing North.
- Make sure you don’t have a colour cast across the image. So that the white of the paper, remains white, not grey, pink, yellow or blue cast.
See our ‘Best Tips for Entering Art Competitions’ for more tips and advice.
Photographing Artworks and extra income
At the Artists Print Room we specialise in photographing artworks, including framed works, textiles and 3D sculptures and turning them into fine art giclée prints. Giving you the opportunity to create extra income from your original artwork. We can print, package and ship your giclée print direct to your customer, saving you time and hassle. We are specialist bespoke fine art printers, using our knowledge and expertise to adapt to your creative needs. Please feel free to Get in touch if you require our help.
All communication will be by email or via the online login process.
You will need to login online to see if your work has been pre-selected. Notification will be on 20 April 2022.
If your work is pre-selected you will need to download and print your application details, which needs to be delivered with the artwork.
Artwork then needs to be delivered to Mall Galleries on 28 May 2022. Upon delivery you need to remove and take away all packaging with you. There are no storage facilities at the gallery.
You will need to bring the packaging with you when you collect your artwork(s) if unsold. Collection of unsold work is 23 June 2022.
Work not collected at the stated times will be subject to a daily charge of £10 and will be disposed of after one week.
If you are an international artist or are unable to delivery your works yourself, you can use an art courier company. These are just a few of the ones you can use, make sure to check their reviews :-
Art Moves of Chelsea (London, Kent, Surrey, Sussex and Bristol) – [email protected] / 020 7352 7492
Picture Post Art (Scotland, the North of England and Birmingham) – [email protected] / 07833 450788 South Hams Express (Penzance, Totnes, Exeter and Southampton) – [email protected] / 07502 041139
For a fuller list of Art Couriers, click here.
Pricing your art and Commission
Remember to include gallery commission charges when working out a price for your artwork. You can learn more about ‘Pricing your Artwork’ and working out commission here.
Commission is payable to the Society as follows:
Members (all classes):
Works less than 75cm on longest side 35% Commission +VAT
Works larger than 75cm on longest side 40% Commission +VAT
Works less than 75cm on longest side 45% Commission +VAT
Works larger than 75cm on longest side 50% Commission +VAT
It will be assumed that the stated sale price includes the cost of any frame and the commission. Prices should include VAT if applicable. If you are VAT registered, you need to provide a VAT number in the box provided on application.
If you are not a UK resident and your work is sold at the exhibition you have a responsibility to register and account for UK VAT with H.M. Revenue & Customs at www.hmrc.gov.uk (HM Revenue & Customs Reference: Notice 700/1)
Terms and Conditions
Read full terms and conditions here of the Botanical Society of Artists 2022 Plantae Exhibition.
Finally don’t forget if you’d like to turn your art into fine art giclée prints, then please feel free to Get in touch
Did you know that we are the only fine art printing company in the UK which has been accredited by Canson Infinity, Hahnemühle Fine Art, Epson Digigraphie, ILFORD and a member of the Fine Art Trade Guild? Also, why not sign up to our mailing list to keep up to date with news, products and future competitions at The Artists Print Room – just complete the form below.