This years Society of Graphic Fine Art 2022 exhibition will be the 101st annual open for the Society. The Society runs several exhibitions throughout the year for its members, but they also usually have an annual Open exhibition, open to non-members and members.
The Society was founded in 1919 with the aim of promoting and exhibiting original works of high quality, in colour and black and white, with an emphasis on excellence in drawing and draughtsmanship, demonstrated by hand.
Submission Deadline : 03 March 2022 12.00 (Midnight)
The exhibition will be held at The Mall Galleries, The Mall, St. James, London. SW1
Important Dates for Society of Graphic Fine Art 2022 Exhibition
Submission Closes: Thursday 03 March 2022, 12 Midnight
Selection Notification: Monday 18 April 2022
Artwork Delivery: Saturday 14 May 2022 10.00 am to 2.00 pm to Mall Galleries, The Mall, St. James, London. SW1
Hanging Day: Monday 16 May 9.30 am to 5.30 pm
Exhibition Prize giving: Tuesday 17 May 2022 2.00 pm to 4.30 pm
Exhibition Open to public: Tuesday 17 May 2022 10.00 am to 5.00 pm
Exhibition Closes to public: Saturday 21 May 2022 5.00 pm
Collection of unsold work: Thursday 26 May 2022
- Entry must be submitted online by completing the registration form.
- You must register and submit your images by 3rd March 2022, 12.00 (Midnight) at the latest.
- Non-members and affiliates may submit up to 5 artworks in total. Only a maximum of 3 artworks will be accepted.
- Entry cost is £20.00 per artwork submitted.
- All submitted work must be for sale.
- Work must have been completed in the last three years.
- Work must not have been shown previously at Mall Galleries or hung in an SGFA London exhibition.
- Pricing for framed work must observe minimum prices: Paintings and drawings £300; editioned prints £180
- Applicants will be required to login, via the online process, to see if they have been selected.
- If your work is selected, you will need to download and print your application details , which must be delivered with your artwork.
Work Eligible for Submission
- Submissions of work are invited from visual artists working in any medium which demonstrate evidence of drawing.
- The selection committee will be looking for strong evidence of drawing in works you submit.
- Drawings in any medium, monochrome or colour – pencil, coloured pens and pencils, pen and ink, pastels and oil pastels, charcoal, conté, etc.
- Any original artwork which demonstrates evidence of drawing by hand: – original printmaking, watercolours, acrylics, oils and 3-Dimensional work.
- Digital imagery generated by computer is not eligible for entry.
You can learn more about entry requirements and their terms and conditions here
Not sure if an art competition is for you, then take a look at ‘Should you Enter Art Competitions’. Hopefully it will answer some of those niggling questions you have.
Sizes of Pictures
The sizes mentioned below include the frame:
Pictures up to 80 cm x 80 cm count as 1 work = £20.
So pictures over 80 cm x 1.60m count as 2 works = £40
Then pictures over this size count as 3 works = £60 and are at the Society of Graphic Fine Art discretion.
Please select the entry number accordingly at the start of the entry process to make the correct payment. Oversized artworks submitted with incorrect payment will not be hung.
Fine Art prints of your stunning art
Creating fine art prints of your art is a great way to earn extra income from a painting. At The Artists Print Room we use our fine art printing expertise to create digital image files of your artworks, to achieve beautifully reproduced giclée prints of your art.
We have 19 fine art papers and canvases for you to choose from and we offer bespoke sizes too! We aim to provide you with as much creative freedom as possible, when it comes to creating your giclée prints. Get in touch and see how we can help
Framed Work Instructions
- All framed work must be presented unpacked, labelled and ready for hanging.
- Work must be labelled on the back in BLOCK CAPITALS with: Name of Artist, Title, Medium, Price.
- Framing must be robust and sealed.
- No hooks are required. Works should be sufficient to withstand mirror plating for hanging purposes. There should be no projections whatsoever from the back or front of the works. This is to prevent damage to other works.
- Metal frames and clip frames are inadmissible. Elaborate framing and/or coloured mounts are not acceptable.
- All framing must be of a professional standard and without damage.
- The SGFA reserves the right to reject any work which has framing unsuitable for hanging, or is presented in an unacceptable condition.
Society of Graphic Fine Art 2022 Exhibition Commission on Sales
Work selected for exhibition must be for sale. Commission of 40% will be charged for non-member sales. Your sale price must include the frame cost and any other costs you wish to recover. Please allow for these points when pricing your work. Prices should include VAT if applicable. If you are VAT registered, you need to provide a VAT number in the box specified when registering.
Delivery and Collection
- You are responsible for the delivery and collection of your work, to and from The Mall Galleries.
- Packaging from delivered works cannot be retained and must be taken away at the point of delivery.
- They are unable to wrap works or provide wrapping materials for any works being returned.
- If you are unable to deliver or collect your work in person (some artists are able to work together to share this burden) then these are just some of the art courier companies that you can use:
Art Moves of Chelsea (London, Kent, Surrey, Sussex and Bristol) – [email protected] / 020 7352 7492 Picture Post Art (Scotland, the North of England and Birmingham) – [email protected] / 07833 450788 South Hams Express (Penzance, Totnes, Exeter and Southampton) – [email protected] / 07502 041139
Check reviews of art couriers, before making your decision.
- Work not collected at the stated times will be transported to Art Moves of Chelsea and subject to a weekly charge.
When researching the Society of Graphic Fine Art 2022 Open Exhibition we couldn’t find any information on the following:
- No mention of any age restrictions.
- It does mention about using couriers for international artists, so we assume the exhibition is open to UK and International artists. Though they never say it plainly.
- You have to submit digital images of your artworks, but they do not state what size or quality of files, they require. Probably worth looking at other societies, who hold open exhibitions at the Mall Galleries and see what their requirements are. Always send a good quality file with your image, that is in focus with no marks and without any frame or background in view.
- They mention there is a prize giving event, but they don’t list any prizes or awards for this open exhibition. Though there are award titles next to last years (2021) winners.
See our “Best Tips for Art Competitions” it has great information on what you need to think about and do.
Overall Things you need to Consider for Society of Graphic Fine Art 2022 exhibition
- Be aware of the date for delivery and collection of your works. These are the ONLY dates available.
- Ensure you submit good quality digital image files, as you will be judged on these. Make sure the image file looks like your original work.
- Take note that the size of artwork you can submit includes its frame. Also larger artworks may count as two entries, so check artwork sizes before and after framing and reread the section on sizes of pictures.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to complete the registration form. Include all you social media platforms and website details and don’t forget to title your work.
- All work needs to be for sale and the organisers have a 40% commission on non-members sales. So ensure to cover the commission charge when pricing your work and any VAT that may be applicable.
- Overall ensure you robustly frame and label your artworks. Also make sure you follow their guidelines for framing.
Did you know that we are the only fine art printing company in the UK which has been accredited by Canson Infinity, Hahnemühle Fine Art, Epson Digigraphie, ILFORD and a member of the Fine Art Trade Guild? Also, why not sign up to our mailing list to keep up to date with news, products and future competitions at The Artists Print Room – just complete the form below.