The UK Coloured Pencil Society 2022 exhibition will be their 21st exhibition. The exhibition will be held online and will run from 1st August 2022. Submissions are open to all artists aged 18 and over. Work submitted must be original (concept, design and execution by the artist). The work should be at least 50% coloured pencil and your work must demonstrate your compositional and drawing skills, and your ability to use coloured pencil. Entries must not have been shown in any previous UKCPS exhibition.
The UK Coloured Pencil Society (UKCPS) was founded in 2001 by Bob Ebdon. The object of the Society is to promote the art of drawing for the public benefit, through the use of coloured pencils. This includes holding at least one annual exhibition to showcase work with workshops and demonstrations. The aim is to help educate the public on how to use coloured pencils.
The Society holds an annual open exhibition, usually in the spring of each year. An independent jury of three select the successful entries to the exhibition and a guest judge chooses the award winners on the opening day.
Submission Deadline : 15 June 2022 12.00 Midnight (GMT)
Rules of Entry
- Artists must be aged 18 and over.
- At least 50% of the work must be dry colour pencil (i.e wood cased and wax or oil based colour pencil, including watercolour pencil if used dry). Pastel pencils are excluded.
- The remaining 50% of the work may be in any other medium, including any water or solvent used.
- Any image produced by drawing over a digital reproduction.
- Artwork executed in whole or part under instruction and/or in any teaching or workshop situation.
- Any work copied from someone else’s photograph(s), even with their permission.
- Using an individual’s image without that individual’s permission.
- Any work shown in any previous UKCPS exhibition, including annual, regional, online or Keswick.
Any reference photographs used in their entirety to create the final composition must be taken by the artist.
Subject to UK and international copyright laws, reference images not taken by the artist may be used to contribute and build up a final composition. This is provided the final work does not resemble any reference source in a recognisable way.
The Society has the right to refuse to accept works not meeting all the conditions set out above. In the event of a challenge, the artist must provide evidence that their work is in full compliance. The Society may refuse to exhibit work that is considered not to meet the above entry criteria.
If you’re not sure if you are ready to submit your work to an exhibition, see ‘Should you Enter Art Competitions’ with details of what you need to think about.
Submitting an Entry to UK Coloured Pencil Society 2022 Exhibition
- Artists must submit online www.ukcps.org.uk
- You must include title of picture and size of work unframed in centimetres on the entry form.
- Artists can submit up to a maximum of 5 entries.
- Non-Members: £20 per entry
- UKCPS Members: 1st entry free, additional entries £10 each
- Entries are not complete until payment has been received.
Entries must be submitted online as digital JPG or PNG files only; resolution 300dpi, minimum size 1MB, maximum size 5MB.
All submitted images should be named as follows:
Your first name, your surname, title of the work, with underscores instead of spaces, e.g. John_Smith_View_of_Venice.
As this is an online exhibition all images should be of a good standard – work should not be framed when photographed/scanned.
Earn extra income from your works
The Artists Print Room specialises in photographing artworks, including subtle, fine detailed pencilled works and turning them into high quality fine art giclée prints. Selling giclée prints offers your customers more choice and a very budget friendly option. It’s a great opportunity to make extra income from your original artworks. We can print, package and ship your giclée print direct to your customer, saving you time and hassle. We are a specialist bespoke fine art printers, using our knowledge and expertise to adapt to your creative needs. Please feel free to Get in touch if you require our help.
- No more than two pictures per artist will be shown, regardless how many works you enter.
- The works are chosen by an independent selection panel. They are asked to choose a selection of works that will create an exhibition with variety and showcase the full capabilities of the colour pencil medium.
- All submitted images will be presented to the selection panel anonymously. No personal data, including name, will be given during the selection.
- Artists will be advised by email whether they have been selected or not.
- The award winners will be selected by a different judge once the juried selection is made.
What you need to be aware of
- Remember you will be judged on the digital image file(s) you submit. You should ensure it is a true representation of your work. Use editing software to adjust the colours, remove colour casts and marks. Also to straighten your image and crop out any frame or background.
- The digital image file should only be of your work, not the frame or any background.
- Check that your image is in focus. It is a good idea to take several photos and choose the best one.
- UKCPS do not mention anything about your works being for sale in the online exhibition. They also make no mention of commission charges if they receive enquiries, via their website, where the exhibition will take place. We have put together information on ‘Pricing your Artwork for Competitions and Exhibitions’.
As stated in UKCPS exhibition terms and conditions:
It is a condition of entry that the artist grants permission for the Society’s use of the accepted images for publicity and promotion for purposes wholly related to UKCPS.
UKCPS Signature Status
Members of the Society who have artwork selected for the exhibition will qualify towards UKCPS signature status.
Important Dates for UK Coloured Pencil Society 2022 Exhibition
15th June 2022 – Closing date for entries
1st August 2022 – Online exhibition opens on website
1st September 2022 – Closing date for voting for People’s Choice Award
Best in Show: £500
Runner Up : £250
Best Pure Colour Pencil (no other media used) : £150
Pat Heffer Award
The Coloured Pencil Shop Creative Composition Award
People’s Choice: £100
Finally don’t forget if you’d like to turn your art into fine art giclée prints, then please feel free to Get in touch
Did you know that we are the only fine art printing company in the UK which has been accredited by Canson Infinity, Hahnemühle Fine Art, Epson Digigraphie, ILFORD and a member of the Fine Art Trade Guild? Also, why not sign up to our mailing list to keep up to date with news, products and future competitions at The Artists Print Room – just complete the form below.